Proper method of brushing is necessary for oral health. the way of brushing and the time spent for brushing are more important than the selection of toothbrush.tongue should be cleaned along with brushing. oral health is like a lock, brushing is like a key. if you turn the key of brushing in the wrong direction, it would lock up your fresh breath.if you turn it in the right direction, the fresh breath is yours.we all know that daily twice brushing is necessary.so make it as a habit to say good morning and goodnight after brushing.sufficient brushing time is 2 minutes.
Types of brushing methods:
There are several different acceptable tooth brushing methods are used because each patient has different needs.not one method is perfect for all patients.some patients may use more than one method.
- Bass method
- Roll method
- Fones method
- Stillman’s method
- Charters method
it is also known as sulcus cleaning method.most widely accepted method.most effective method for plaque removal.
Toothbrush bristles arelaced at 45 degree angle to the gingiva and moved in asmall circular motion.strokes are repeated around 20 times,3 teeth at a time.
On the lingual aspest of anterior teeth,the brush is inserted vertically and the heel of the brush is pressed into the gingival sulcus and interdental surfaces at 45 degree angle,the bristles are then actuated.
The chewing surfaces are cleansed by pressing the bristles firmly against the pits and fissures
- Effective method for removing plaque adjacent to and directly beneath the cervical areas and sulcus
- Provides good gingival stimulation.
- Easy to learn
- Overzealous brushing may cause injury to gingiva
- Not useful for the patients who do not have the muscle development
In this method direct the toothbrush bristles towards the root of the tooth.place side of the brush on the gingiva and have the plastic part of the brush even with the tooth.when the plastic portion is even with the tooth press the filaments against the gingiva and roll the brush over the teeth.the wrist is turned slightly and the filaments follow the contour of the teeth.
This method is indicated for young children and others who do not have the muscle development for more complex technique.
- The child is asked to stretch his\her arm such that they are parell to the floor.
- The child is then asked to make big circles which are redused in diameter until very small circles are made in front of the mouth.
- Now,brushing is done in circular motion in the teeth making sure that the teeth and gums are covered
- Effective plaque removal
- Easy to learn
- Physically\emotionally handicapped individuals can use this technique
- Provides good gingival stimulation
It can cause trauma to gingiva
Interdental areas are not properly cleaned.
Like the boss method the filaments are placed at a 45 degree angle to the tooth.unlike the boss method the filaments are placed half in the sulcus and half in the gingiva.same stroke is used as the boss method.
Position the filaments towards the chewing surface of the tooth.place the sides of the filaments against the enamel and angle them at a 45 degrees to the tooth.vibrate the filaments gently but firmly,keeping the filaments against the tooth.reposition on the next set of teeth.