Turmeric has been used as a spice in Indian recipes and as Ayurveda medicine. Health benefits of turmeric are due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric and milk have natural antibiotic properties. These two natural ingredients in your daily diet can prevent diseases and infections. Turmeric when mixed with milk can be very beneficial for many health problems. Traditionally turmeric milk has been used for colds, congestion, headache and sore throats. Turmeric is a depression fighter as well. Ayurveda and Unani systems of medicines in India have used turmeric in health and wellness since for as long as records even exist.
How to Prepare Turmeric Milk?
Take 1 inch turmeric piece and boil it for 15 minutes in milk. Strain out the turmeric piece and allow it to cool. If you want you can add dried ginger, honey or black pepper
Turmeric Milk for Cold
Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 pieces of cinnamon stick and 2 cloves to 1 cup of milk. Cook till it boils and pour it into a cup. This drink is useful when you are sick with cold or sinuses. Pepper corns can be added along with turmeric is said to improve the absorption of turmeric by the body.
Health Benefits of Turmeric Milk
- Turmeric milk has antimicrobial properties which attacks bacterial infections and viral infections. Turmeric milk is useful to treat illness related to respiratory system. The spice heats up your body and provides quick relief from lung congestion and sinuses
- Prevents cancer cells from damaging DNA and reduces the side effects of chemotherapy
- Best remedy for cold and cough due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties. It gives instant relief to sore throat, cough and cold
- Helps to make the joints and muscles flexible by reducing the pain
- Strengthen the spine and joints in the body
- Excellent source of antioxidants, which fights free radicals
- Blood purifier:-it is an excellent blood purifier and cleanser. It can revitalize and boost blood circulation in the body. It is also a blood thinner that cleans the lymphatic system and blood vessels from all impurities
- Natural liver detoxifier and blood purifier
- Good source of calcium which is a must to keep the bones healthy and strong. Lowers bone loss and osteoporosis
- Reduce menstrual cramps, promotes easy delivery and improves lactation and faster contraction of ovaries
- Good home remedy to treat skin redness and rash. Soak cotton in a turmeric milk , apply on the affected area for 15 minutes to reduce skin redness and rash
- Controls weight and helps in the breakdown of dietary fat
- Best remedy to treat insomnia. Drinking turmeric milk before going to bed will give you a peaceful sleep.
- Turmeric milk is good for the stomach and helps in the digestion process. It can be used to treat diarrhea and indigestion but for this you need to use low fat milk. High fat milk can aggravate the symptoms of diarrhea.
Precautions While Using Turmeric
Pregnant women are advised not to use turmeric. It can contribute to stomach ulcers. Normally turmeric in food is safe. However, since it acts as a blood thinner, those who require surgery must stop taking any form of turmeric food or supplements a couple of weeks before surgery. It can also react with diabetic medication and medication taken to reduce stomach acid