Broccoli belongs to cabbage family. It has large flower heads usually green in color, arranged in a tree like structure branching out from a thick edible stalk. It resembles cauliflower. Broccoli has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties. This is an excellent food because it contains vitamin C, vitamin B complex, vitamin A and vitamin K. It also provides potassium, manganese, phosphorus to the body. This food is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Broccoli is low in Sodium and calories. Broccoli is a good food for the weight reduction because it contains vitamins, minerals, proteins and gives few calories to the body.
Boiled or steamed or raw forms of broccoli are used for consumption. Some nutrients lost during boiling so steamed or raw forms are good for health. Raw broccoli is used in salads. Broccoli is rich in vitamin C. A single serving provides more than 30 mg of vitamin C and a half cup provides 52 mg of vitamin C. Boiling broccoli reduces the levels of suspected anti-carcinogenic compounds. Steaming, microwaving and stir frying had no significant effect on nutrient loss. Broccoli has good taste and so many nutrients so add broccoli to your diet.
Health Benefits of Broccoli:-
- Cholesterol reduction:-broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body
- Broccoli contains antioxidants. These antioxidants can neutralize free radicals that cause cell damage. Oxidative stress, chronic inflammation and inadequate detoxification are the major metabolic problems that can cause cancer. Broccoli has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties. These can prevent or lower the risk of cancer
- Can prevent some of the damage to blood vessel linings that can be caused by chronic blood sugar problems
- High, in fiber which aids in digestion, prevents constipation and maintains low blood sugar
- Broccoli can provide you with some special cholesterol lowering benefits if you cook it by steaming
- Broccoli has a strong positive impact on your body’s detoxification system
- Kaempferol flavonoid in the broccoli lessen the impact of allergy related substances on your body
- Contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis
- Contains significant amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. It is a good source for omega-3 fatty acids for vegetarians
- Carotenoids in the broccoli help in the eye health. Broccoli is not a source of vitamin D but it involves in the metabolism of vitamin D. Vitamin K and A are needed to help vitamin D metabolism in the proper balance.
Precautions while taking Broccoli:
- The excessive fiber content in the broccoli can cause gas problems or bowel irritation
- High amount of vitamin K can interact with blood thinning medication so people who are on blood thinning medication should be careful about the intake of Broccoli
- Hypothyroidism patients should be limit the intake of Broccoli