Green peas are sweet, delicious, and popular as garden peas. Green peas contain a unique assortment of health protective phytonutrients. One of these phytonutrients is coumestrol which has recently come to the forefront of research with respect to stomach cancer protection. Green peas are good source of proteins, vitamins and minerals. Even though green peas are an extremely low fat food, the type of fat and fat soluble nutrients they contain is impressive. It is good food for the people who are in dieting. It is also good food for kids growth. Green peas crop is environmental friendly crop because peas plants work with bacteria in the soil to fix nitrogen from the air and deposit it in the soil. This reduces the usage of fertilizers usage since one of their main ingredient is nitrogen.
10 Health Benefits of Green peas
- Lowers the risk of stomach cancer:- Daily consumption of green peas along with other legumes lower the risk of stomach cancer especially when daily coumestrol intake from these legumes is approximately 2 mg or higher. One cup of green peas contains at least 10 mg of coumestrol, so it’s not difficult for us to obtain this remarkable health benefit
- Good for diabetic patients:- green peas and other pulses can help us lower our fasting blood sugar as well as our fasting insulin levels. Long term control of blood sugar is also improved by intake of green peas
- Excellent source of folic acid:– fresh pea pods are an excellent sources of folic acid. 100 gm provides 65mcg or 16% of recommended daily levels of folates. It is good food for pregnant women
- Power house of vitamins and minerals:– green peas contain vitamin K, B complex vitamins, vitamin C, manganese, copper, zinc, molybdenum, magnesium, iron. Fresh green peas are very good in vitamin C which is natural water soluble antioxidant that gives resistance against infectious agents. Also good in vitamin K which is found to have a potential role in bone mass building function through promotion of osteotrophic activity inside the bone cells.
- Heart disease prevention:- green pea consumption gives anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Regular consumption of antioxidant nutrients can help us to prevent chronic, unwanted oxidative stress
- Prevents constipation:– When you have constipation, it is important that you consume foods rich in fiber to clear your bowel movements and improves your metabolism
- Prevents anemia and fatigue:– try some boiled peas with a pinch of salt and pepper to boost your energy levels. Iron prevents the anemia and fatigue
- Great for your child’s growth:– green peas are good source of proteins, vitamins and minereals so these are ideal for your child’s growth and development. So give this healthy food to your kids in the form of soups, salads and sandwiches
- Reduce depression:- people suffering from depression are advised to eat foods rich in antioxidants. Easily available, snacking on boiled peas is a great idea to deal with mood swings.
- Prevention of certain diseases:– prevents Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis and candida. Green peas also prevent the skin wrinkles.
How to select and Store Green peas?
- When purchasing fresh garden peas, look for ones whose pods are firm, velvety and smooth. Their color should be a lively medium green.
- Do not choose pods that are puffy, water soaked and have mild residue
- Choose the pods that contain sufficient number and size of the peas
- Frozen peas are better able to retain their color, texture and flavor than canned peas.
- Refrigerate in plastic bags do not shell peas until ready to use
How to store Green peas for long period:-
- Select fresh, tender and good quality peas for preservation
- Start with peeling the green peas and while doing it take out all the bad peas. Wash them twice and strain any excess water
- Now boil the peas for 2 minutes in a deep pan filled with enough water to dip all the peas. Cover the pan with a lid. Sieve the peas to strain excess water
- Take cold water in another bowl and put the strained peas into it. Again strain the water once they get cool down. Fill the peas in a polythene bag and close it with a rubber band or any tape. Store the bag in the freezer. Polythene bag should be used only for one time.
- This way you can preserve peas and use whenever you want
Healthy Recipes of Green Peas:-
Green peas can be used in salads, soups, curries, biryanis and fried rice
- Green peas snacks:-Boil the green peas and sprinkles the pinch of salt and pepper
- Add green peas to the curries such as potato, carrot and bottle guard
- Green peas masala is a great side dish for the rotis, chapati, phulka
- Green peas salad:- It is a good and healthy food. It is prepared by adding green peas, carrot, bell pepper, red onion, celery, pinch of salt and pepper, spoon full of lemon juice.
- Mix green peas with chicken, diced onions and almonds to make a delicious and colorful chicken salad.