Dental implant is substitute for the roots of the missing teeth. They act as an anchor for a replacement tooth or crown or a set of replacement teeth. Replacing missing teeth is important to your general health and to the health of your other teeth. The primary use of dental implants is to support dental prosthetics. There are many shapes, sizes and brands of implants available. Your dentist will know which implant is the right one for you. Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed but, in general dental i9mplants have a success rate of up to 98%.
Dental implant is a surgical component that interfaces with the bone of the jaw to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge and denture. The metal used in the dental implants is pure Titanium. When pure titanium comes into contact with the living bone tissue, the two literally grow together to form a permanent biological adhesion.
How much does Dental Implant Costs
Tooth implants cost can also be quite high as well, ranging from $1300 to $3,000 per implant. This price can go up significantly depending on certain circumstances such as where the tooth is being implanted. If a tooth is being placed in the upper jaw, this may cost more than a tooth being placed in the lower jaw. This is because the sinus areas are affected, making the surgery much more complicated.
Dental Implants Procedures
The steps in the dental implant procedure are
- Initial surgery
- Osseo-integration period
- Abutment connection
- Final prosthetic restoration
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
- Good appearance:-everyone is conscious about their appearance. So, implants are best choice to get good appearance. Implants looks like normal own teeth. These are designed to fuse with bone and become permanent. So replace your missing teeth with implants to retain your natural and beautiful smile.
- Improved speech:-speech is affected by poor fitting dentures. Patient may worry that denture might slip. Dental implant will provide you more clear speech without any worries. Replacing missing teeth shouldn’t affect the speech because Oral communication plays important role in general life. Dental implants are good choice to replace your missing teeth without any effect on your oral communication
- Improved chewing:-The primary function of the teeth is chewing. Dental implants will improve this primary function. If your teeth are in good condition then your general health also good. Dental implants function like your own teeth and allows you to eat yo0ur favorite foods with confidence without pain
- Dental implants are ideal for those who have multiple missing teeth, or those who simply don’t want to damage additional teeth in order to replace one
- Tooth replacement with implant supported or assisted dentures provides greater patient satisfaction
- Implant over dentures improve facial contours that result in minimizing premature wrinkles
- Dental implant will preserve bone and significantly reduce bone resorption and deterioration that results in loss of jaw bone height
- Implant over dentures can provide support, stability and retention
- Dental implants last for a much longer time than conventional restorations on teeth
- Eliminating messy and potentially toxic adhesives used to hold dentures
- Dental implants are more comfortable than partial dentures with destructive metal clasps
- No need to take out the dentures
Who are Suitable to Get the Dental Implants?
Generally and edentulous area can be an indication for dental implants. The indications for dental implants are
- Patient should have healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant. The bone available to support the implant is the primary factor after prosthodontics diagnosis and treatment plan. This bone is measured in width, height, length, anatomical contour and density
- Good oral hygiene and regular dental visits
- General health condition of the patient. People suffering from uncontrolled chronic disorders such as diabetes or heart diseases or patients who have had radiation therapy to the head and neck area need to be evaluated on an individual basis
- Active or hyperactive gag reflexes elicited by a removable prosthesis
- Psychological inability to wear a removable denture even if adequate denture retention and stability is there
- Patients with poor denture retention
- Poor oral muscular coordination
- Low tolerance of mucosal tissues
- Patients who don’t want to damage their adjacent teeth in order to replace one
What are the Risk factors for the Dental Implants?
- Poor oral hygiene, periodontal diseases
- Heavy smokers, people suffering from diabetes or heart diseases or patients under radiation therapy to the head and neck area need to be evaluated
- Dry mouth or xerostomia
- Improper motivation of the patient
- Lack of operator experience
- Long term steroid use, osteoporosis and other diseases that affect the bones can increase the risk of early failure of implants
- Implant failure may occur in patients who grind their teeth
- patient hypersensitivity to specific components of implant
- infections in the neighboring teeth, major sinusitis